Welcome to mcbruce.ca !
Just a simple webpage for stuff created by McBruce
I direct bridge games (now online) and create stuff for my bridge work which people seem to want. So I set up this web page to little by little put the things (essays, programs) I've created in the public domain. If I were a better writer or programmer I would not be giving them away, but since I am not, I trust you will not descend upon me in anger should they not interest you or work for you...
So far, little by little has been the most accurate thing in the previous paragraph... Among the things you may — eventually — find here:
- Phil Wood Invitational Games. Invitational games run by me at the Arbutus Club, Capilano Golf & Country Club, Shaughnessy Golf & Country Club, and Vancouver Lawn Tennis (3 of these were begun by Phil Wood many years ago) have pooled their player lists together and begun a new game on Tuesdays at 1:45 pm. You need to have played in these games previously to be eligible. We've started fairly well, with 9 and 11 tables in the first two, and might expand to a second game if attendance continues well.
- Virtual Vancouver Bridge Centre. Since we're all stuck at home, ACBL and BBO have teamed up to give us a way to support our local club and play with local people. This page has details on how to sign up as well as results and schedules.
- Online Daily Bulletins for District 19 tournaments:
- Regionals are on hold now as we struggle to get out of this pandemic. Please get vaccinated if you haven't yet. It will help speed up our eventual return. Some previous regionals are below:
- Whistler Regional October 28-November 3, 2019 in Whistler BC, Olympic ski resort about 80 minutes drive north of Vancouver.
- Tri-Cities Regional October 21-27, 2019 in Pasco WA, in southeastern Washington State.
- Puget Sound Regional August 19-26, 2019 in Lynnwood WA, north of Seattle.
- Penticton Regional, June 10-16, 2019 in Penticton BC, Canada's largest Regional.
- Victoria Regional, April 8-14, 2019 in the capital city of B.C.
- A home for updates of Unit 430 masterpoint races - 2021-current (see note below) - 2020-final - 2019-final - 2018-final - 2017-final using a new (OK, it's no longer so new, I wrote it in 2017) program that combines a long text file of results with an even longer text file of player data.
The COVID pandemic shut down offline bridge in March 2020. We moved the Monthly Unit Games online and the 2020 MUG race is complete, but the other masterpoint races have been held over, their new endpoint to be decided based on when offline bridge returns. Free plays given out for the 2019 races and the MUG 2020 race will be extended once offline bridge returns.
- Bridge articles of various lengths that I have written for some of my club games or for the Matchpointer, the Unit 430 newsletter that I edited for almost a decade (finally got one, more coming):
- Mentor-Mentee Hand Analyses by McBruce: special sites where the 22 boards in the Mentor-Mentee Games are played and commented on by McBruce, who usually gets trashed by the computer players, making it fun reading for all!
- A completely outdated list of upcoming dates for McBruce's growing tournament schedule, so you can schedule your events around the list if you want me to help out. Funny URL...
- Other usually funny articles, mostly from my Facebook feed, or occasionally from another source (also eventually)
Writing is something I do a lot of, editing not so much. If you are prone to the TL:DR* comment, go watch a video on YouTube, the stuff posted here will not interest you. I'd rather read something than watch something and I hate seeing sites switch to video.
* TL:DR stands for 'too long; didn't read.' For someone who struggles to get words and phrases and sentences to fit together, the only comeback to that lazy slam is DILLIGAF, which you'll have to look up on Wikipedia....
That's all for now. I'll put the date of the latest update at the bottom of this page so you can see what's happened.
Last update: September 3, 2021